Lighting is a crucial aspect of interior design that often gets overlooked. It has the power to transform the atmosphere, functionality, and aesthetics of a room.
When done right, lighting can make your home feel warm, inviting, and well-balanced. But with the plethora of lighting options available, how do you know which is the best for each room in your home?
In this comprehensive guide, we'll explore how to choose the perfect lighting for every room, from the cozy bedroom to the functional study area, and more.
24 best lighting for every room in your home
The welcoming entryway
The entryway is the first impression of your home, and it sets the tone for what's to come. It's a space that should be well-lit, inviting, and aesthetically pleasing.
- Chandeliers or pendant lights: Chandeliers and pendant lights can create a striking first impression. They are not only functional but also highly decorative, adding a touch of elegance and grandeur to the space. This makes your guests feel welcome and sets a luxurious tone for your home.
- Wall sconces: Wall sconces can be used to complement the overhead chandelier or pendant light. They add warmth, create a more intimate atmosphere in the entryway, and provide additional illumination.
The relaxing living room
The living room is a space where you unwind and entertain guests. As it's such a versatile space, it’s a good idea to incorporate layered lighting into the room - think ambient, task, and accent lighting.
- Ceiling fixtures and recessed lighting: Ceiling fixtures or recessed lighting are ambient lights that provide overall illumination to the entire living room. It creates an inviting atmosphere in the living room and ensures that the room is well-lit, making it a pleasant space for everyday use. Consider fixtures with dimmer switches to adjust the light level according to your needs and mood.
- Floor lamps and table lamps: Having more focused illumination like lamps provides task lighting for specific activities such as reading, working on a puzzle, or playing board games.
- Track lights and spotlights: Accent lighting like track lighting or spotlights highlights artwork, decor, or areas in the house you want to draw attention to.
- Natural light: Maximizing natural light is also crucial for a relaxing and welcoming living room. Large windows, glass doors, and well-placed mirrors can bring in natural light, making the room feel airy and connected to the outdoors.
The Cedric Floor Lamp provides ample task lighting for reading in @livewithelle’s home.
The cozy bedroom
The bedroom is one of the most important spaces in your home. It’s a personal sanctuary where relaxation and comfort are paramount, which is why choosing the right lighting can significantly enhance the atmosphere and functionality of this space.
- Bedside lamps: Bedside table lamps offer a warm and intimate glow that’s perfect for winding down before sleeping. They provide task lighting for reading or other bedtime activities without flooding the entire room with light (or having to get out of bed just to turn on the main light source!).
- Closet and wardrobe lighting: Consider adding LED strips, recessed lighting, or motion-activated lights in your closets and wardrobes. This ensures that you can see your clothing and belongings clearly, which makes it much easier to choose your outfit, reducing morning stress and enhancing the functionality of the bedroom.
- Pendant lights: These light fixtures provide excellent ambient lighting to the bedroom. Choose light bulbs with warm color temperatures (around 2700K) as they emit a soft, yellowish light that creates a cozy and comfortable environment, which is ideal for relaxation.
- Natural lighting: Just like the living room, it’s important to allow natural light into the bedroom. Large windows and sheer curtains can bring in ample daylight, creating a cheerful and refreshing atmosphere during the day.
@chalovescafe maintains balance in the room by placing matching Emery Nightstands and lamps on either side of the Dalton Bed.
The productive home office
The home office is a space where functionality and concentration are crucial. For a productive workspace, you need ample task lighting to enhance the overall work experience.
- Desk lamps: Desk lamps provide sufficient task lighting for focused tasks like reading, writing, and computer work. It reduces the glare on your screen and minimizes eye strain, making it easier to work for extended periods. Desk lamps with adjustable arms or goosenecks are popular choices.
- Overhead lighting: While it may not be the primary source of light, overhead fixtures complement task lighting. This ensures that your workspace is evenly illuminated, reducing shadows and creating a comfortable environment.
- Natural light: If possible, position your desk near a window to take advantage of natural light. Natural light can boost your mood, increase alertness, and reduce the need for artificial lighting during the day.
With a desk lamp shining directly while @sarah_louwho paints on the Seb Desk, they can be more detailed and intricate.
The functional kitchen
In the kitchen, functionality is paramount. It’s where cooking, baking, washing, and even entertaining can happen.
- Under-cabinet lights and track lighting: These lighting options are essential in ensuring a well-lit workspace, such as over the stove or the kitchen island. These lights provide task lighting to ensure that you can see what you're doing and minimize the risk of accidents.
- Flush-mounted lights or linear light fixtures: Ceiling fixtures create general illumination in the entire kitchen space. They not only enhance the functionality of the space but can also serve as a decorative element.
The elegant dining room
The dining room is a space for gatherings and special occasions. The right lighting can set the mood and elevate the dining experience.
- Chandeliers or pendant lights: Chandeliers and pendant lights are the hallmark of an elegant dining room. They provide a sense of grandeur and sophistication, casting a warm and inviting glow over the dining table. The right fixture can become a statement piece, adding to the overall aesthetic and atmosphere.
- Wall sconces: Wall sconces can be added to the dining room to complement the central chandelier or pendant light, contributing to a well-lit and balanced space.
- Candles: Candles in candelabras or candle holders are a classic and elegant choice for dining room decor. They not only add soft, flickering light but also create a romantic and cozy atmosphere.
@stylemyspacesg illuminates the dining area with pendant lighting. Pictured: The Vincent Dining Set.
The refreshing bathroom
Most people simply forget the importance of lighting in a bathroom and think that ambient lighting is sufficient. In fact, bathrooms require a mix of ambient and task lighting for a functional and aesthetic space.
- Vanity lighting: Proper vanity lighting like wall-mounted fixtures or LED mirrors are essential for tasks like shaving, applying makeup, or styling your hair. It provides focused, shadow-free light on your face and even illumination for these activities.
- Ceiling or overhead lighting: Ceiling fixtures can offer ambient lighting that fills the entire bathroom space. Recessed lights, flush-mounted fixtures, or pendant lights are great options for the bathroom.
The inviting outdoor spaces
Don't forget your outdoor spaces too! Patio or garden lighting can enhance the aesthetics and safety of your outdoor areas.
- Wall-mounted sconces: Wall-mounted sconces can be installed on balcony or patio. They provide ambient lighting and create a cozy and inviting environment for your outdoor space.
- Deck and step lighting: Deck and step lighting fixtures are placed on or recessed into decks, stairs, or retaining walls. These lights improve safety by illuminating potentially hazardous areas, such as steps and changes in elevation. They also add visual interest, making your outdoor space more inviting and functional in the evening.
- Floodlights and spotlights: These fixtures are used to highlight specific outdoor features, such as trees, sculptures, or architectural details. They can add drama and intrigue to your outdoor space.
- String lights: String lights are hung above patios, decks, or outdoor seating areas to create a warm and festive atmosphere. They also add a magic and intimate quality, making your outdoor space feel like an extension of your home.
@charlotteshappyhome creates a cohesive look in her outdoor space with the Rio Outdoor Teak Dining Set and a cane pendant lamp.
The best lighting for every room depends on the room's function and your personal style. A well-thought-out lighting plan can enhance the beauty and functionality of your home.
Take the time to choose the right fixtures, experiment with different lighting types, and don't forget to incorporate dimmer switches for added flexibility. With the right lighting, you can transform any room into a welcoming and comfortable space that suits your needs.